Traveling tips for the journey to heaven, courtesy of Jonathan Edwards. May that we strive together and spur each other on along the way:
- We should set our hearts on heaven. This will keep us from becoming distracted or constrained by the desires of the world.
- We seek heaven by taking the proper route: holiness. Holiness is that duty of delight, the journey upstream, against the natural flow of our selfish and sinful appetites.
- We must be ready for hard times. This world is sometimes a wilderness, requiring that we are prepared and fit for the journey.
- We must stay at it. There are no shortcuts nor stops. We must begin early and persevere to the end.
- We should be making continual progress. The Christian life is one of sometimes slow but nevertheless continual progress.
- We need to keep our goal in view. We should eat and drink and enjoy our friends along the journey, but realize that they are tokens of the good things to come. Keep your eyes fixed on the better country, the heavenly country that awaits us.
from Heaven on Earth, by Stephen J. Nichols 112-113